Hsinchu County American School (HCAS) is a progressive school with a dedicated community of educators. We believe that role and guidance of teachers are pivotal for students' academic success. Understandably, our community has high expectations from all incoming teachers.
Teachers set great examples for our students by their professionalism, guidance, teaching, and leading. Teachers are expected to get fully involved in the school’s development and to offer enriching extra-curricular activities for our students. Teaching candidates considering working at HCAS should be prepared to meet these additional expectations in addition to their regular teaching load. The following points are some of the qualities we look for in our educators.
- Experienced, qualified and highly professional
- Child focused – warm, caring and supportive
- Ability to work with parents and be part of a community
- Team player – collaborative, adaptable, positive and flexible
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- General interest in Taiwan
- Stable and balanced personal life
- Experience in organizing school events and extra-curricular activities
- Familiarity with American educational system preferred. (progressive education is a plus)
- Inquiry-based, activity-based, content mastery and hands-on learning
- Using local context and environment to enhance learning
- Multi-cultural approach or experiences
- Stimulating classroom environment
- Experience in differentiating teaching techniques and classroom management abilities
Each school year has approximately 180 contract days, starting in mid-August with faculty orientation and ending in the month of of June.
Our Upper and Middle School schedule is based on 80 minute period per class (with 5 min break) on a block schedule. Our First Program schedule is based on 40 minute period per class. Teachers are expected to work 8 hours a day not including 1 hour allocated for lunch. Apart from teaching, time should be allocated for planning, preparation and classroom management, and general meetings with colleagues and parents.
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-Curricular Activities
Teachers are expected to get involved in the Lab activities during the day and extra-curricular activities after school. These activities include advisement for programs, clubs and/or coaching for sports take place after school.